Our History

Over the years, many great men of God served at the Union Gospel Mission men like Dwight Deal, Wilus Riley, Paul Rowden, Mark Mathews, and others; gave of themselves to share the love of Christ, a hot meal, a night’s sleep, a prayer, and handshake, or a hug to those in need. In 2003, Jon Rector was called to serve as the Executive Director. In 2007, the Union Gospel Mission was birthed from its founding church, Highland Park Baptist Church, and became “Chattanooga Outreach d/b/a Union Gospel Mission”, a separate 501(c)3 organization. The mission then transitioned into its current focus of residential programming and community outreach. In 2009 UGM moved to its current location at the foot of Signal Mountain.

A small brick church with a white front porch and double doors, set on a slightly elevated sidewalk with steps. There are cars parked nearby and wires overhead, with trees and neighboring houses in the background.

For years after the close of World War II, the sermons of Lee Roberson boomed out in a room at a skid row boarding house in Chattanooga. Dr. Robertson of Highland Park Baptist Church preached the good news to the commonest people. Union Gospel Mission grew out of Christian labor among these men and opened its doors in February 1950.

Salvation at Skid Row. The Union Gospel Mission of Chattanooga laid out a welcome mat to the helpless, homeless, and forgotten on February 5, 1050. Though this is marked as the historic day when UGM became a beacon to men on skid row, the Lord had worked in the heart of a local Baptist minister, Dr. Lee Roberson, many years before.

Early in 1949, Dr. Robertson accepted an invitation from S.E. Dooley to conduct services at a rooming house for transients on West Main Street in Chattanooga. For 13 months, gospel services were held every night, and many were won to Christ while other men rededicated their lives to the Lord. A year later, the Lord made it possible to secure a building at 1260 Market St., a former drug and furniture store. It was remodeled to fit the needs of 30 men sheltering there.

The first superintendent of the Chattanooga Mission was Jimmy Hodges. Each mission conducted daily services, helping hundreds with physical and spiritual needs. The pulpit at the Union Gospel Mission has been filled by many, including students from Tennessee Temple University and pastors from local churches. During the 1980's the mission moved to its fourth location, a two-story building on East Main Street.

A black-and-white photograph of a busy city street scene from February 1952. The scene shows a crowd of people gathered outside a building with signs that read 'Union Gospel Mission' and other text. There are vintage cars parked on the street and pedestrians walking or standing around. The background features more buildings with signage, indicating a lively urban environment.
Three men standing together in a room, one man is holding a certificate, a poinsettia plant is on a table in front of them, and a cross and church-like wood paneling are visible on the wall behind them.

Meet Our Team

A man in a black suit and tie standing in front of a backdrop that reads 'The Union Gospel Mission Chattanooga Outreach Inc.' and celebrates its 75th anniversary, with a diamond graphic on top.

Rev. Jon Rector

Executive Director
A smiling elderly man with glasses, a bald head, a white beard, and mustache, wearing a checkered shirt, standing in front of framed artwork on a beige wall.
Program Director

Bro. Wayne Hammel